The Colliery has been in continuous operation since the 1950's. Operations prior to the 1950's were intermittent, with underground operations commencing in 1923 and open cut operations in 1946.
Over time, the operation has been subject to a number of development consents and areas within the current DA area have been owned and operated by a number of different companies.
The Liddell Coal Operations DA has undergone a number of modifications over time to continue coaling operations and provide the necessary flexibility for the operations to meet the sites rehabilitation objectives. The In February 2019, Liddell Coal was granted modification to their development consent DA 305-11-01 - (Mod. 7). A summary of the approved modifications to the DA include: